Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Final Goodbyes

We just returned from Wichita this morning. We said our final goodbyes to Opi.

The funeral was nice, the burial was special because he was a veteran of WWII they had a 21 gun salute, but nothing was as special to me as the time I had with him before he passed. The girls and I went down to Wichita to be with him last Thursday. I just felt an overwhelming urge that we should be there. It was really tough seeing him in the condition that he was in, but there was something very special about it as well. I was concerned about the girls seeing him, but they just thought he was sleeping. They were awesome throughout the whole situation. I heard a quote the other day that as we are busy teaching our children about life, they are teaching us what life is all about. This is so true. They sat with Opi and read books, held his hand and talked, and gave him "Dinosaur wishes" as Eastin called them. They said lots of prayers and told Opi that they loved him lots. They didn't know him all that well, but you wouldn't have known that. Such little hearts full of so much love for everyone. They were such joy in a time of sorrow. It's amazing how God uses new blessings to help us let go of the older ones. They were my rock through this whole situation. We shared some very special times together with Papa, Grandma, and Aunt Sally.
My Dad would pick up the girls every morning in the lobby with a wheelchair ready to race through the hallways. I am sure this will be a memory that they will not forget. They called it the "Big Wheel" :) They decided that they needed to push him around one afternoon.
I love you lots Opi and I thank you for all the wonderful memories you left us with.


1 comment: